In this episode I sit down with Bhan Gatkuoth to discuss:
- Her mother’s story as a child bride, prisoner, and refuge
- Why she decided to start podcasting
- How she felt when she first learned her mother’s story
- How she feels about podcasting
- The first podcast she ever listened to
- How her mother reacted when Bhan told her she would share her story
- The best gift she received and how she received it
- What she hopes to get from her podcast
The Best Gift She Has Received
The gift of hope. Knowing that no matter the trials and tribulations I face they will not affect me in the next life.
Why Podcasts are a Gift
Podcasting is a gift because it allows you to learn so much more about the world.
Her Gift Giving Advice
There has to be sincerity
The One Gift She Would Give to the World
I’d give the world empathy and the ability to see the world from someone else’s point of view.
How She Would Package Empathy
I would package it in the form of love for one another.
The Gift She Would Give to Her Younger Self
I would tell myself to be patient.
How You Can Support Her
- Listen to the podcast
- Use your voice to support those who do not have a voice
Where to Find Scott on Social
“If I feel so inspired by my mother’s stories then maybe other people will.”
“Everyone has a story.”
“Podcasting is a really important medium.”
“It’s easier for me to tell these stories because I’m not far removed from them.”
“It’s a common misconception that all of Africa is experiencing these hardships.”
“A lot of journalists face a lot of danger in situations like this.”
“I think about it a lot, the fact that I am here and I have the freedom to speak.”
“The goal of my podcast is just to make people think about the way that they treat one another.”
“My biggest hope is that people will take these stories and use the lessons learned in their lives.”
“I think that if I could have seen into the future I would have been a bit more patient with myself.”
“It’s important to use your freedom to speak as a way to influence change.”